Anna Wilson: Five books every child should read before they’re 12
1. The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
Many know the story, not so many discover there are six more titles. My other favourites are The Last Battle and The Voyage of the Dawntreader.
2. A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond
The original stories are hilarious! Paddington gets into all kinds of scrapes but always comes out on top. Represents the child in us all.
3. The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken
Aiken invented a tunnel under the sea, joining England and France. What did she think when the Channel Tunnel was built?
4. The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More by Roald Dahl
A creepy story about a selfish man who loves money and teaches himself a trick to get more. He learns a valuable lesson.
5. Watership Down by Richard Adams
The adventure of the rabbits as they journey to find a new burrow is one of the most moving and exciting books I have read.
The Poodle Problem by Anna Wilson is out now (Macmillan, £5.99). For ages 7+