At home with the odd couple: capes, japes and shopping with Noel Fielding and Serge Pizzorno
In this week's Big Issue...
It’s a tale of big hair, big heels, Costcutters, capes and male bonding. Old pals (and friends of The Big Issue) Noel Fielding and Kasabian’s Serge Pizzorno take Sylvia Patterson to very strange places. And feature in the best series of photos we’ve carried in a long, long time. Enjoy it all.
- Our Letter To My Younger Self is with Liberty boss and the most dangerous woman in Britain Shami Chakrabarti. Open and funny, and a little at odds with the more stern public face, there is a moment when she talks about her late mother that’ll make you stop.
- Our featured vendor telling their story in My Pitch is Cathy Johnson, who works in Queen Street, Oxford. A year ago Cathy was a broker at a mortgage company. She was made redundant, lost her flat, maxed out credit cards and just couldn’t get a new job. She’s living in a tent and yet is still full of hope. Incredible story.
- John Bird takes a look at Simon Napier-Bell’s autobiography and considers the business of music and pop, what matters and what it all means.
- Samira Ahmed is looking back to the glory days of board games (they existed), and the morality of enjoying beating your children at them.
- Andrew Buchan’s star is on the rise, after Broadchurch and The Honourable Woman. He’s currently burning up London in The Great Fire and tells Adrian Lobb why actors need to stop taking themselves so seriously.
Meanwhile, as unemployment drops alongside pay levels, Adam Forrest looks at the future of the job market with Naomi Klein and Linda Tirado.
And don't forget our competition for kids to design the Christmas cover...