In light of the current situation surrounding COVID-19, we have undertaken a huge health & safety review and put in place a range of measures designed to ensure vendors are able to sell safely.
We want to make sure that you feel 100% safe when choosing to buy from our vendors and have followed the government COVID-19 health & safety guidelines.
The safety of vendors and the public is our primary concern, these are some of the major changes you might notice:
- Your local vendor might be selling in a slightly different location than normal to ensure the safety of you, the general public and the vendor.
- We are providing vendors with PPE through generous contributions from partners and the public to our COVID-19 Appeal and donations from Viraxcare PPE supplier.
- All our vendors will be given PPE on an ongoing basis, including face masks and anti-bacterial gel.
- We have also provided vendors with new bags to store their magazines safely.
- We will be accelerating moving vendors to cashless payments through card readers via our partnership with iZettle.
- We are doing everything we can to build stronger businesses for our vendors coming out of this crisis. We are supporting vendors back to selling, with 10 free magazines to get them up and running.
- We have increased the cover price of the magazine to £3 to ensure vendors make more money from selling the magazine. Vendors will now buy the magazine for £1.50.
- Vendors purchase magazines from our frontline staff in offices around the country and will follow strict health & safety procedures in these offices including temperature testing. Vendors will be supported by frontline staff who will adhere to strict health & safety procedures. Including but not exclusively working to split rotas and teams, maintaining social distancing, working behind sneeze guards, and our offices will be fitted with a range of PPE and cleaned twice a day.
We really encourage customers to buy and take the magazine. Vendors sell the magazine to earn a living and improve their lives. We continue to support Big Issue vendors to achieve financial stability through their magazine sales whilst helping them to overcome longstanding social disadvantages previously holding them back.
We will support vendors who are in the vulnerable category or become ill with COVID-19 with both financial and emotional support as best we can, until a time when it is safe for them to return to selling.
If you have any questions or queries relating to The Big Issue’s Covid-19 update, please take a look at our FAQs below. If you have any further comments or questions, please email email@example.com