Check out our useful tips and advice for dealing with fundraising monies, including paying money in.
What about my expenses?
If there are expenses associated with your event or activity, you must be very clear with donors that only the profits or proceeds will go to The Big Issue Foundation. Keep track of your expenditure, and keep hold of any receipts for at least two years.
What should I remember when I’m counting money?
- Never leave cash unattended.
- It’s a good idea to count money with a friend, with both individuals signing a money return form, as well as the seal of the bag once it is closed.
- When you have deposited the money at the bank, the money return form should be sent to Big Issue Foundation Head Office along with the paying in slip from the bank.
- Always count cash with at least two people present in a secure environment. Store cash in a secure place until it is taken to the bank and pay in money as soon as possible after the fundraising activity.
- If there are substantial amounts of money being raised at an event, it is a good idea to have two individuals responsible for counting and banking funds throughout the day, to prevent a build-up of cash. If this isn’t possible because the bank is closed, you should consider using a nightsafe facility rather than keeping the cash at home.
Restricting your donations
The Big Issue Foundation is tremendously grateful for every donation it receives, large or small. We work hard to ensure that your gift is used wisely focusing our investment in services that will enable is to reach and support more Big Issue vendors
We kindly ask supporters to avoid restricting their donations to a particular geographical location or area of work, because it gives us greater flexibility in allocating funding to reach all Big Issue vendors who need us wherever they live in the UK.
Paying money in
If you’ve set up an online fundraising page on JustGiving or Virgin Money giving, we’ll receive the money you raise automatically.
Otherwise please send your money to us within 30 days of the event or activity you are engaged in. If your fundraising takes place over the longer term, we ask that you send your money in at the end of every month so that we can keep track of it.
Pay in online
Using a credit or debit card, make a payment to Big Issue Foundation here
Call us on 020 7526 3458 during office hours to make a card payment to The Big Issue Foundation. Have your supporter reference number handy if you have one!
Pay by cheque
Alternatively send us a cheque made payable to ‘The Big Issue Foundation’, with a cover letter or sponsorship form which can be downloaded. Send both to the address below:
The Big Issue Foundation
3rd Floor, 113-115 Fonthill Road
Paying directly into our Bank Account
Please contact us on 020 7526 3458/3454 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss with a member of team as you will need your Supporter Reference number to enable us to identify your donation when it reaches our bank account. Please inform us of your contact details so that we can check our records and set you up if necessary.
Thank you for your support!