Young, free and skint
The economic fallout of the pandemic is having a disproportionate effect on the under-35s. Furlough, joblessness, and a lack of savings… It all means that millennials and Gen Z are feeling anxious about their finances. The Big Issue’s RORA correspondent Laura Whateley has put together a vital guide to jobs, budgeting and accessing money advice – specifically with under-35s in mind. You can’t afford not to read this.
This week’s cover art
Illustrating our jobs and money guide cover this week is an original drawing by artist Sean Griffin. It’s called You Can’t Get the Staff and Sean describes what inspired the piece in this week’s Street Art. We also share his tumultuous life story; from building sites to university, unemployment and addiction. But the love of art and the urge to make his living through it have never left him. After decades of struggles he’s closer than ever to that dream.
We also have a hard-hitting investigation into latest developments in the cladding scandal. While the government delays, leaseholders are bearing the cost of extra safety measures at their properties. Some have told us they fear losing everything, just because of where they live.
Also next week:
- Fake news and the world leaders who seek to mislead – they’re not new, but they are dangerous
- People wanted a young Gabrielle to hide away because of her lazy eyelid. She preferred to climb up on tables and sing. She writes this week’s Letter to My Younger Self
- First Lady of Netflix Michelle Obama and her foray into TV that teaches children about food
- Are thousands of British children really suffering from long Covid? Fact/Fiction gets to the bottom of it
- Winchester vendor Kev Collick has unexpectedly found himself in the middle of a campaign to erect a statue in his honour. Locals weren’t convinced Greta Thunberg was the right choice… and Kev’s a bit of a local hero
- Other vendor news: Michael Costello in London explains why his current dip in Big Issue earnings is preventing him from rescuing wildlife; and keen gamer Dave Campion in Dawlish reveals that it’s possible to play well on a budget
Click HERE to subscribe to The Big Issue today or why not give a gift subscription to a friend or family member. You can also purchase one-off issues from The Big Issue app, available now from the App Store or Google Play.