The Rise of Downton Abbey
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares next week as we take a trip to Downton Abbey to speak to three of its original cast – Elizabeth McGovern, Penelope Wilton and Joanne Froggatt – about how the series got us through austerity and the new film is arriving at another time of anxiety. Escapism is in order and there’s no finer place for sure.
The most timely show on TV
New Netflix series Anatomy of a Scandal sinks its teeth into corruption and criminality at the highest levels of government. It couldn’t have come at a better moment say its stars Sienna Miller, Michelle Dockery and Naomi Scott.
Greenham Common Women’s Peace Camp
It was one of the most successful, long-running feminist movements in history. Forty years on, at a time when the government is attempting to strip away our right to peaceful protest , we meet some of the activists who explain how their legacy is more relevant than ever.
- Ben Okri reflects on how a harsh winter on London streets turned him into a writer in this week’s Letter To My Younger Self
- A celebration of the cheeky charm of Channing Tatum
- We speak to Kit Connor, star of revolutionary new teen drama Heartstopper
- The history of the song that’s become an anthem of Ukrainian resistance
- The shady truth behind lie detectors
- And Andrew who sells The Big Issue in Middlesbrough says selling has given him purpose again
Plus much more!
If you can, please buy a copy from your local vendor.
We will publish the article in full this week so nobody misses out but we would love if you could help us to continue our work. Click HERE to subscribe to The Big Issue or give a gift subscription to a friend or family member.