Safe, secure and ready to greet you! During the lockdown period, Big Issue staff have been busy ensuring vendors could return to their pitches as soon as possible so they could start earning an income in the toughest economic times. Our offices have had safety equipment installed to protect vendors and staff, with strict health and safety measures put in place. And we have provided all vendors with PPE and a ‘welcome back pack’. Here’s London vendor Will Herbert modelling the new look (the flowery shorts are our model’s own):
- MAGAZINES: Every vendor will get 10 free magazines to help kick-start sales. Our cover price is now £3 – after their first 10, vendors will buy copies for £1.50 and sell them for £3, keeping the difference. We’ll still be selling in shops, ensuring retail outlets don’t clash with vendors’ pitches. And sales through subscriptions and the app will ensure we can continue to support vendors who need extra financial assistance.
- CARD READER: We are supplying an increasing number of vendors with card readers, and if necessary helping them sign up for bank accounts so they can take cashless payments.
- TABARD: Look out for vendors’ bright red Big Issue tabards – soon to be joined by branded bags and caps.
- PPE: Every vendor will be provided a plastic face shield, disposable face masks, disposable gloves and hand sanitiser to help keep themselves and their customers safe.
- VISOR: Protecting vendors and their customers is our top priority. So each vendor will have a plastic face-visor. These are fast becoming part of the ‘new normal’ as business returns to Britain’s streets.
- MASK: Each vendor will have disposable face masks – while government guidelines have not made these compulsory, we want customers to feel confident approaching vendors, and vendors to feel safe while they are out selling the magazine.
- WELCOME BACK PACK: In addition to their PPE and 10 free magazines, each vendor who is badged up will receive a brand new waterproof back pack to protect magazines. They will also be given a selection of essentials such as toothpaste and toothbrush, shower gel, deodorant, fruit juice and re-energising facial masks.