How it was told
Just when you thought the red meat was the biggest health risk in your Sunday roast, guess again.
Last week, research from the HOMEChem project – a University of Texas study that tested the impact that cooking meals had on indoor air quality – hit the headlines.
Reports said that dishing up the traditional roast dinner could create fumes that were 13 times more polluting than those inhaled while taking a stroll through the centre of London.
The widely reported study pointed to tiny particles known as PM2.5s – because they are less than 2.5 micrometres – that are linked to heart disease, stroke and lung cancer, causing 30,000 premature deaths in the UK every year.
The story cooked up a storm in the Daily Mirror, which went with the headline: “Cooking Sunday roast exposes people to more toxic air than polluted city street”. The Guardian’s story also compared the indoor findings to pollution levels found in a city, in their case Delhi: “Cooking Sunday roast causes indoor pollution ‘worse than Delhi’”.
The Mail Online kept matters much closer to home: “Making a roast exposes you to more pollution that standing in central London: Cooks told to use extractor fans and open windows to disperse harmful particles”.