Who wouldn’t want to try a superstar footballer’s favourite recipe? Marcus Rashford says this crispy leek and potato pie is his “go-to” meal.
Collaborating with celebrity chef Tom Kerridge, the pair have created Full Time Meals. Every week, they share new recipes to inspire people to cook healthy food for their families. All the meals are cheap and use very little energy, so you’ll be saving while you cook.
The team have shared a few recipes with us as part of The Big Issue’s Summer Survival Guide. One of those is Rashford’s crispy leek and potato pie.
Rashford says: “Filo pastry makes a super easy pie top; just scrunch it up and you’re ready to go – a cheat’s pie!”
Ingredients you’ll need
- 1 onion
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 leeks
- 1 tin of cooked new potatoes
- 1 vegetable reduced salt stock cube
- 1 tin of leek and potato soup
- 5 sheets of filo pastry
Let’s get cooking. How do I make the leek and potato pie?
- Whack the oven on at 180C.
- Peel and cut the onion into small wedges. Next, heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes until starting to brown.
- Trim the leeks and cut them into chunks, then rinse under water to get rid of any dirt. Add them to the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Tip the vegetables into a high-sided roasting tin or tray. Drain the tin of potatoes and cut each potato in half, then add these to the roasting tin and crumble over the stock cube. Add a bit of pepper and stir in the tin of soup.
- Get your sheets of filo pastry and scrunch up each one, then arrange them on top of the vegetables to make your pie top. Use a pastry brush to brush the filo pastry with 2 tbsp of the vegetable oil. Don’t worry if you don’t have a brush, just use your finger. Then sprinkle over a bit more pepper.
- Put the pie in the hot oven to cook for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Serve it onto plates and dig in!
And here’s our Summer Survival Guide, which we will update regularly with new articles and tips on making sure your kids have a fun summer without breaking the bank
Get involved with the conversation on social media and share all your tips and advice for families using the #SummerSurvivalGuide