Where has all the food gone?
Taking stock of empty shelves
Across the country, supermarket shelves have been emptying. The impact of pingdemic plus Brexit has exposed just how vulnerable the UK’s supply chains are – but what’s really behind the shortages and how will the problem be fixed? Turns out we might be in for the long haul…
A new stage in life
Like another organisation that tackles the ‘big issue’ of homelessness, Cardboard Citizens celebrates its 30th anniversary this year. We speak to former vendor Emilia Teglia who went through the life-changing programme almost two decades ago to find out how it turned her life around. We also hear from Johnnie, who shares a journal he kept during a Cardboard Citizens workshop he took part in this summer.
- Voice of an angel Emmylou Harris talks love, death and mother hood in her Letter To My Younger Self
- Editor of the Greek street paper Shedia reports from Athens on how the city – and their vendors – have been impacted by the devastating wildfires that are raging across the country
- We look at a range of film and theatre projects putting the spotlight on homelessness – from Bill Nighy’s film about the Homeless World Cup to former vendors Brian and Earl using poetry to raise awareness
- From Elton John to Billie Eilish, Tom Odell shares the Music That Made Me
- We meet two Australian Big Issue vendors who also happen to have won medals at past Paralympics
- And our vendor Maria in Edinburgh tells us that she’ll be selling from the city’s Book Festival this year
Plus much more!
Please support your local Big Issue vendor on their pitches in England, Scotland and Wales. If you cannot reach local your vendor, you can still click HERE to subscribe to The Big Issue today or give a gift subscription to a friend or family member. You can also purchase one-off issues from The Big Issue app, available now from the App Store or Google Play.