Why football matters
Inside this edition…
As the Euro 2020 final draws near, we look at the important role football plays in our national and individual identity. Win, lose or draw then lose on penalties, the game doesn’t end with the final whistle and we hear from organisations who use sport to help people living with dementia, depression or loneliness to keep active and connect with others.
On 10 July 1971, Gloria Steinem made one of the most significant speeches of the 20th century. Her Address to the Women of America signalled the ascent of feminism – but 50 years later she tells us why the fight for equality is far from over.
National Hygiene Week
To shine a light on hygiene poverty, we’ve teamed up with the Hygiene Bank to find out what support there is for people who have to choose between buying food or other hygiene and sanitary projects. In the age of Covid, urgent action is needed more than ever.
- Kathy Burke tells us what’s wrong with our attitude to money
- Joan Armatrading shows a lot of Love and Affection in her Letter To My Younger Self
- Bobby Gillespie talks about swapping Primal Scream paranoia for parental pathos
- Richard Cotterill, Big Issue vendor turned cross-country walker, reflects on reaching the halfway stage of his journey
- And we reveal monumental news about Street Cat Bob…
Plus much more!
Please support your local Big Issue vendor on their pitches in England, Scotland and Wales. If you cannot reach local your vendor, you can still click HERE to subscribe to The Big Issue today or give a gift subscription to a friend or family member. You can also purchase one-off issues from The Big Issue app, available now from the App Store or Google Play.