Your vote matters: The elections for the future of the UK
With restrictions easing in Scotland, for the first time this year vendors will be united in selling all across the UK. But this comes as elections in Scotland, Wales, London and local councils across threaten to shake up the union. With over 40 million votes at stake we look at why this is one of the most important elections ever. And to emphasise the point, we found someone who has the authority to tell us why every vote matters, Handforth parish councillor and viral star Jackie Weaver.
100 years of Northern Ireland
As its centenary approached, petrol bombs and rioting are again the images of Northern Ireland blitzing around the world. Claire Mitchell digs into this momentous moment.
Meet the new generation of social entrepreneurs!
This week’s edition includes a free 24-page magazine packed with inspiring stories from schools who are part of the SocialEnterpriseAcademy. Pupils of all ages explain how the socialenterprises they run adapted to Covid, and came up with ingenious and positive ways of supporting each other and their local communities. We also hear from movie legend Richard Curtis about why young people hold the key to the future of compassionate action. And Barratt Foundation, one of this year’s sponsors, explain how they are working with homelessness charity St Mungo’s for their new Putting Down Roots horticulture programme.
We pay tribute to Bubble who sold the magazine for more than 20 years in Birmingham. He will be missed.
- That’s Esther Rantzen’s life being talked about in her Letter To My Younger Self
- We find out the next plan Marcus Rashford has cooked up to fight food poverty
- A different perspective of locked down London in photos taken by people rough sleeping during the pandemic
- WWE giant Drew McIntyre on being the first British champion of one of the world’s biggest entertainment brands
- Caught by the fuzz – is Martin Compston’s copper in Line of Duty bending the rules by having a beard? We find out in Fact/Fiction
- Vendor expert Dave Martin talks about his new artistic endeavour and Bristol vendor Damian shares his excitement about being reunited with his regulars.
Plus lots more!
Please support your local Big Issue vendor on their pitches in England, Scotland and Wales. If you cannot reach local your vendor, you can still click HERE to subscribe to The Big Issue today or give a gift subscription to a friend or family member. You can also purchase one-off issues from The Big Issue app, available now from the App Store or Google Play.