The Homeless World Cup is heading to Cardiff next year

Hollywood star Michael Sheen fronted the bid to bring the 17th edition of the tournament to Wales

Hollywood actor Michael Sheen’s bid to bring the Homeless World Cup to Cardiff has been successful, with the tournament heading to Wales next year.

The announcement was made ahead of last night’s friendly match between the Wales national team and Spain at the Principality Stadium – shocking the world and the Street Football Wales (SFW) players, who were paraded on the pitch before the game.

SFW patron Sheen brought together government, not-for-profit and private sector as part of the bid as well as producing a rousing speech on BBC’s The One Show to make the case for a Cardiff tournament in July.

“I am so excited to have won the rights to bring the tournament to Wales,” said Frost/Nixon star Sheen. “We are going to deliver the best tournament yet. I am incredibly grateful to the many partners across Wales who helped us get to this point.”

Homeless World Cup Foundation president Mel Young took to the microphone to reveal that more than 500 players from 50 countries will head to Wales for the 17thedition of the tournament.

Homeless World Cup Cardiff
Homeless-World-Cup-Cardiff-announcement
The Wales Homeless World Cup team learned that the tournament will be heading to Cardiff while on the Principality Stadium pitch

“We have evaluated the bids very carefully and are delighted to team up with Michael Sheen and the wide range of partners from across Wales,” said Young.

“We congratulate Michael Sheen and his team for the great work they have done so far and are looking forward to an inspirational and fruitful relationship. We believe that Cardiff 2019 will be an extremely well organised tournament that will again inspire thousands of visitors and many more watching online.”

This year’s iteration of the Homeless World Cup will kick off in Mexico City’s famed Zocalo square on November 13.

Image: Homeless World Cup